According to a new report by Juniper Research, worldwide VoIP over Wi-Fi equipment revenues are expected to reach over $82bn by 2012 with North America leading the market at $35bn in revenues, EMEA (Europe, Middle East & Africa) with $23bn and Asia Pacific with $21bn.
Further details from the report include:
1. Dual Mode Mobile Handsets (Cellular/VoIP over Wi-Fi ) will dominate this market generating almost $68bn in revenues by 2012 out of a total market of $82bn.
2. Single Mode VoIP over Wi-Fi Handsets will continue to see a conservative uptake primarily due to high pricing – resulting in revenues of only $1.5bn by 2012.
3. Enterprise Access Points (supporting VoIP) will generate over $5bn by 2012.
4. Enterprise WLAN Switch/Mobility Controllers (supporting VoIP) to reach almost $8bn by 2012.
Report Author, Basharat Hamid Ashai, says that „the dual mode handset market will pick up much faster in the coming years than the single mode Wi-Fi handset sector. The handset market is moving to a stage where no one wants to carry two or three devices in their pocket, so the ability to have a single device for all calls is a compelling proposition. Most single mode VoIP over Wi-Fi handset manufactures are actively either designing or planning to ship dual mode phones“.
Another Key Trend will be the use of Wireless Mesh Technologies for VoIP. Currently these networks are in their infancy and are being used primarily for data applications. However this market will be ripe for wireless VoIP during the coming years. VoIP using Wireless Mesh will be a key move.
The data in the new report from Juniper Research is taken from forty interviews with vendors and providers across the sector and covers:
- Enterprise Access Points (supporting VoIP)
- Enterprise WLAN Switch/Mobility Controllers (supporting VoIP)
- Single Mode VoIP over Wi-Fi Handsets (Residential & Enterprise)
- Dual Mode Cellular/VoIP over Wi-Fi Handsets
- Single Mode VoIP over Wi-Fi Handset Chipsets (Residential & Enterprise).
Quelle: Juniper Research