Volker is the Chief Strategy Officer at social infrastructure software specialists Scoreloop and a co-founder of Blue Beck, a smartphone games studio. Volker has been at the forefront of mobile and digital media for a decade. He is a regular speaker at top mobile and technology conferences around the world (incl. SXSW, Mobile World Congress, CTIA, Uplinq, Oxford University, Mobile 2.0, etc) and a co-organiser of the world’s first TEDx Youth event in Manchester. He blogs at http://vhirsch.com/blog and tweets @vhirsch.
1. What is your preferred gadget at the moment?
2. Your currently most loved app, mobile site, mobile service?
Flipbook (for iPad). It aggregates feeds from my Facebook and Twitter but also from the NY Times, Wired, TechCrunch, etc and publishes them in a beautiful magazine format on the iPad. Awesome!
3. What are you reading and how (paper, ereader, smartphone, tablet…)?
- Irvin D Yalom: When Nietzsche Wept (on paper)
- Steven Johnson: Where Good Ideas Come From (on paper)
- Bram Stoker’s Dracula (on iPad)
4. What’s from your perspective the biggest trend in mobile- The Next Big Thing?
The trend is not in mobile, the trend is mobile: I see more and more services and content moving across devices and technologies. We have seen the importance of social context for the success of services (cf. Facebook, Twitter, MyYearbook.com, StayFriends, etc, etc), and the “mobilization” of services and content allows that social context shine. Furthermore, many more people access content, information and services on mobile devices than over the “old” Internet, and this development is only going to ramp up further.
5. Which hype annoys you? What is overrated today?
Which hype? ;-)
6. Who (individual, organisation, company…) will change the mobile world?
7. Mobile experts one should read, one should follow?
- Russell Buckley (VP, Global Strategic Partnerships, AdMob / Google) – @russelbuckley
- Neil Young (CEO, ngMoco) – @ncyoung
- Dr Marc Gumpinger (CEO, Scoreloop) – @mgumpinger
- Tomi Ahonen (Consultant & Author) – @tomiahonen
8. Who would you recommend to answer these questions next?
Cf. my answers to 7 above…